Wednesday, August 6, 2008

A Vote for No One


When I look at this year's Presidential candidates, I don't see two men campaigning to lead. I see two politicians trying not to lose. I don't see two campaigns inspiring Americans to make a choice of new directions and old political rhetoric, I see two parties trying to differentiate themselves from one another by pointing to each others flaws. I also don't see the position of President of the United States as a position of honor, respect, and immense dignity. I see the role of Commander in Chief as a setup for SNL punchlines.


When I think about the great leaders of this country in the days before politics was regarded as a career, the days when farmers and lawyers sat shoulder to shoulder, i picture those leaders as men who held the idea of America above all else. I think of men who would put the American flag, and what it stood for above their own self-importance. To lead means to make others want to follow. Leaders are supposed to inspire us to emulate, not shame by way of association. Leaders inspire others to do great things by setting examples of accomplishment and moral fortitude. Neither of these men deserve to lead my country.


These two men are the best this country has to offer? These two men, individually or collectively, represent our America? The future of this great country should be in the hands of men whose beliefs are in direct relation with poll results? The House of Representatives is comprised of people who act on behalf of the individual citizens of this country, The President is meant to lead and command for the good of the nation, not for his popularity polls. How can a President lead if he is following? How can we believe in a President who doesn't, he himself, believe in America? How are we supposed to trust a President that spends the bulk of his campaign explaining his actions and apologizing for the people he surrounds himself with?
I will vote this November, because it is my responsibility as an American. But I will be voting for the candidate that poses the least threat to my way of life. The candidate I am less afraid of. It is truly a sad, sad choice I have to make.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I completely agree, Charlie. We also need to get back to the Godly priniciples that this country was founded on and get rid of the ACLU who is distroying our constitution.
Melanie D.